04 Aug Are Carbs the Enemy?
What exactly are Carbs?
When you hear “carbohydrates,” think “plant power”. On a basic level, carbs are
- sugars (naturally found in vegetables, fruit and dairy)
- starches (naturally found in grains, legumes and some veggies) and
- fiber (plant roughage that your body doesn’t digest) that plant foods make using energy from the sun
that plant foods make using energy from the sun.
Carbs serve as a major fuel source for our bodies, along with protein and fat.
How do Carbs impact my blood sugar?
- During digestion, starches and sugars in carb-containing foods are broken down.
- Our bodies convert most carbs into glucose (a blood sugar – no relation to table sugar) and is absorbed in our blood stream.
- Final destination is entering our cells and tissue as a source of energy!
- Our body stores extra glucose in muscles and the liver
- The excess glucose is stored a fat
Wait, So Carbs end up as sugar, Isn’t this a bad thing?
Contrary to social media and other not so reliable internet sources, the answer is simply no!
Glucose (blood sugar) is our bodies fuel. The body wants to use carbohydrates more than anything.
Our brain’s primary fuel is carbohydrates, and our muscles prefer it for energy.
Our body using glucose every time you walk and talk.
Carbs are truly your best friend!
If this information opens more questions for you and your specific situation, let’s chat more about getting the best mix of carbs, protein and fats to help you:
- Lose weight
- Increase energy levels
- manage Diabetes or prevent Diabetes
- Lower Cholesterol and Blood Pressure
- Overall, step into your highest level of health
Schedule some time to chat with me 1:1 – Click Here