05 Mar Quick Guide to Eating Right While Traveling in the U.S.
Eat Right While Traveling…
On the road again? Traveling can be exciting, educational, exhausting and energizing! And, the food you enjoy while traveling can be delicious and memorable. However, culinary excursions while traveling can be a hazard to your health if food is not handled properly.
This month I will share so tips to help you eat right while traveling in the U.S. Topics include: packing foods with care, food safety, eating right while traveling, seeking out healthy bites!
- Choose healthy snacks. These choices are easy to carry and are available in many gas station marts and most airport terminals:
- Part-skim mozzarella cheese stick.
- Whole-grain sandwich with lean meat, vegetables and mustard.
- Salad with lean protein.
- Fat-free latte.
- Fruit cup.
- Pre-cut veggies (paired with nut butter brought from home).
- Road trip stops. There might be long stretches of road with limited options between cities, but road trips don’t have to cause a disruption in eating healthfully.
- Markets. Pick up pre-washed/pre-cut vegetables, hummus, yogurt, sandwiches, salads and fruit with peels including oranges and bananas.
- Sandwich shops. Choose whole-grain bread, extra vegetables and mustard instead of oil or mayo.
- Drive-thru and casual restaurants. Focus on items that are grilled, steamed, broiled or baked instead of fried or sautéed. Consider salads with lean protein and a vinaigrette-based dressing, broth-based soups, oatmeal and eggs with whole-grain bread. If you’re craving comfort food, just watch your portions — stick to the basics such as a single burger patty without special sauces, kid-size sides and water instead of soda.